Black, Blue, and Ornery: Tuesday, May 8th, 2012
- Updated: May 8, 2012
Hola los vatos, what’s happening? If you see Lovie Smith today (and why wouldn’t you), be sure to wish him a very Happy Birthday! He turns 54 today. He will probably stare at you without changing expressions, but that just means he’s happy. Well, what better birthday gift is there than links! Enjoy.
- Chicago Bears wide receiver Brandon Marshall states that, although the investigation into his alleged assault is still ongoing, he still believes that he will cleared of any wrongdoing. The incident is said to have occurred on March 11, but little, if any, additional information has surfaced and there are rumors that the alleged victim has stopped cooperating with authorities.
- The Chicago Bears’ official site notes that Sports Illustrated has ranked Bears 2nd-round pick Alshon Jeffery as one of 12 rookies the could make an impact in the upcoming season.
- The Chicago Tribune passes on Brandon Marshall’s belief that Devin Hester will have a breakout year at the wide receiver position, possibly even outproducing him. Although it’s nice of him to defer to Hester’s seniority on the team, the Bears will most likely focus their snaps on Marshall, Jeffrey and Bennett.
- Anwar Richardson of mlive.com lists five Detroit players that he believes are destined for a breakout season in 2012.
- Does Detroit Lions defensive end Cliff Avril deserve to be paid like an elite defensive end? Justin Rogers of mlive.com analyzes his stats and believes the answer is no.
- Monday passed without word of the status of former Green Bay Packer running back Ryan Grant and his contract talks with the Detroit Lions.
- Recently suspended Green Bay Packer Anthony Hargrove was instructed to lie about the existence of bounty programs by members of the New Orleans Saints coaching staff, according to documents obtained by Yahoo! Sports.
- Fans of Aaron Rodgers, Ryan Braun and classic American food will soon have a new place to have their fan club meetings! The duo have signed on to open 8*twelve, an MVP grill.
- The Minnesota House has passed the stadium bill. They did, however, attach an amendment Monday that cut the amount of funding provided by the state by $105 million thereby pushing that responsibility back to Vikings ownership. It also included stipulations that the naming rights revenue would be split between the state and ownership and removed the prospect of the stadium being located in Arden Hills.
- The Vikings released veteran kicker Ryan Longwell. Vikings GM Rick Spielman’s veteran purge continues and the kicking job now belongs to 6th-round pick Blair Walsh.
- And they thought it could never be done! Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has graduated from college.