- Carolina Panthers 23 @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers 6
- Dallas Cowboys 28 @ Detroit Lions34
- Buffalo Bills 17 @ New Orleans Saints 33
- Atlanta Falcons 24 @ Arizona Cardinals 21
- Green Bay Packers 34 @ Minnesota Vikings17
Nailed It! 2013: Double the pleasure in Week 7
- Updated: October 24, 2013
Four. A number that holds a special place in the hearts of fans of the Green Bay Packers. A number that said fans like to point to when talking about how great their favorite team is.
Of course, I am referring to the number of wins that the team has so far this season, which just so happens to be the same amount of wins as the Lions and the Bears. (What? Did you think I was referring to something, or someone, else?)
Four is also the number of prognosticators that had correctly predicted the final score through six weeks of games this year. And four is the number of people who correctly predicted the final score of a game in Week 7.
That’s right! In an extremely rare feat, four people correctly called the final score of a game this past week. That doubles the amount of final score inductees in the Pantheon! It also pushes us beyond what was accomplished all of last year.
This week also brought about a new first for the Pantheon. For the first time in its history, we had someone’s name added to the halls in the final score wing for a second time. And that also happened twice!
This was indeed a great week for the Pantheon, as it treasures these final score predictions greatly.
Along with those predictions, 26 other names were added to its halls, making this the second largest week of growth in its history.
Moving on, there are still a few readers who are rebelling against the standard format. To them I say: “resistance is futile.”
So with that in mind, I again ask that you please use the list below to call your shots in the comments. Simply copy and paste it to the comments, and add your predicted scores after the team names. (Substitute scores for the XX and YY.)
Here is this week’s slate of games:
- Carolina Panthers XX @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers YY
- Dallas Cowboys XX @ Detroit Lions YY
- Buffalo Bills XX @ New Orleans Saints YY
- Atlanta Falcons XX @ Arizona Cardinals YY
- Green Bay Packers XX @ Minnesota Vikings YY
Did you think I was referring to Brett Favre up above? If so, HA HA! If not, good. Either way, read on to find out just exactly who Nailed It!
These are the people who have (somehow) correctly predicted the final outcome of a game. The only shot that was called that could be considered more famous than these belongs to Babe Ruth. Bow down before their wisdom! (And make sure you ask them for next week’s lotto numbers.)
- Cincinnati @ Detroit – Donny_Donowitz33, jmac3444, niemerg1, and Tearloch all correctly predicted that the Bengals would defeat the Lions by a score of 27-24!
These are the ones who correctly predicted the margin by which the victors would best their competition. These are also the ones to consult if you want to bet the spread.
- Cincinnati @ Detroit – buildingwithclay, rocketman6969, Staffords_Glove, and The Real Cjammin all correctly predicted a three-point victory for the Bengals.
- Cleveland @ Green Bay – andylet445 and EvilDonkey both correctly predicted an 18-point victory for the Packers.
Total combined score
These are those who somehow managed to pick the correct total score but did not have any clue in how the teams would actually get there. Still, if you want to bet an over/under, you could do worse than consulting with them.
- Cincinnati @ Detroit – Cam of Steel and Dwargs both correctly predicted both teams would combine for 51 points.
- St. Louis @ Carolina – Jeff_Schulz and rocketman6969 both correctly predicted that the teams would combine to score 45 points.
- Cleveland @ Green Bay – buildingwithclay, Dwargs, and MIBearFan all correctly predicted that the teams would combine to score 44 points.
- Minnesota @ New York Giants – BlutosPackers, rocketman6969, and Tearloch all correctly predicted that the teams would combine to score 30 points.
Winning team’s score
- Tampa Bay @ Atlanta – EvilDonkey and thenichels both correctly predicted that the Falcons would score 31 points in a victory.
- Cincinnati @ Detroit – 50CaliberFalcon, robertj72, and thenichels all correctly predicted that the Bengals would win with a score of 27 points.
- Cleveland @ Green Bay – BearsSaveLives, MKE, Preparation_A, and rocketman6969 all correctly predicted that the Packers would score 31 points in a victory.
- Minnesota @ New York Giants – Cam of Steel correctly predicted that the Giants would win with a score of 23 points.
Against the grain
Oftentimes, our picks will be unanimous. However, there are those who will sometimes walk their own path.
- None this week.
I would like to extend a hearty congratulations to Donny_Donowitz33, jmac3444, niemerg1, and Tearloch!
Correctly calling the final score of any NFL game is definitely something of which you can be proud. All four of you may lord this over your fellow prognosticators this week.
However, I will also point out that jmac3444 and niemerg1 have now correctly called the final score of a game twice. It took just under a year for niemerg1 (from Week 13 last year to this week), and just two weeks (yes, two weeks!) for jmac3444. That is incredible! And definitely deserving of praise. So the two of you are the current kings, and we are but peasants at your feet.
Side note: jmac3444 is on a roll and should probably go buy that lottery ticket. Seriously.
To the other 26 names above, you also deserve some praise, and can brag about your exploits. Just not to the four people mentioned here.
At this time I would like to point out that there is an NFC South match-up scheduled for this evening. Please make sure that you call your shot for this game prior to kickoff if you want it to count. Any CYSTs for that game that are posted after the game begins (such as on Friday or even later), even if you somehow manage to get the final score correct, will not count.
Week 7 leaderboard
Now on to the leaderboard!
Just like last week, the top four names didn’t change, but BearsSaveLives was able to move into sole possession of first place. Also, since they each got one right this week, MIBearFan and robertj72 moved into a tie for second with jwoude23.
Fifth place continues to change hands each week. Both Dwargs and EvilDonkey called two shots correctly to bring their totals to six, but the big mover of the week was rocketman6969. Four correct calls vaulted rocketman6969 over 23 other people to get him into fifth place.
Now without further ado, here is the leaderboard through the seven weeks of the season (in the case of a tie, the names are arranged alphabetically):
- BearsSaveLives – eight entries
- jwoude23 – seven entries
- MIBearFan – seven entries
- robertj72 – seven entries
- Dwargs, EvilDonkey, and rocketman6969 – all tied with six entries
If you would like to see what shots the leaders have correctly called, or perhaps to see how close you are to them, you can find that in our Pantheon. Now until next week, let’s give a little congratulatory clap to those who are listed in this article. Or not. Your choice.
If you would like to have your name forever enshrined in the vast expanse that is the internet, simply call your shot in the comment section below for the games of the NFC North and the NFC South. I will be reviewing the comments and keeping track as the season goes on. And who knows? Maybe you’ll even see your name in the leaderboard!
If you cannot call your shots on Thursday, as is custom, it is still possible to participate. As long as your called shots are posted to the comments of this article before the games start, I will include them.
(Excluding the CAR TAMPA game which has already started)
- Dallas Cowboys 23 @ Detroit Lions 28
- Buffalo Bills 20 @ New Orleans Saints 31
- Atlanta Falcons 27 @ Arizona Cardinals 21
- Green Bay Packers 26 @ Minnesota Vikings 27
Also late. CYST
Panthers. 21. Bucs. 7
Lions. 27. Cowboys. 23
Saints. 24. Bills. 17
Falcons. 17. Cards. 13
Packers. 31. Vikings. 27
- Carolina Panthers 9 @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers 12
- Dallas Cowboys 31 @ Detroit Lions 21
- Buffalo Bills 9 @ New Orleans Saints 31
- Atlanta Falcons 24 @ Arizona Cardinals 21
- Green Bay Packers 35 @ Minnesota Vikings13
Livefyre is being stupid
@Maized and Confused Rourke
where is Falcon rise up he pitched a fit about me writing a Falcon article and now I never see him or any New Falcon previews. Figures!!!
BOLD PREDICTION: The Lions lose to the Cowboys in spectacular fashion when an equipment malfunction forces Matthew Stafford to use an OTC breast pump which in turn affects his throwing motion, causing him to throw three interceptions.
@LKPee Thanks for not jinxing us!
@LKPee I honestly am more afraid of him than Freeman..
@LKPee Romo goes off for 400 beating Chris Houston for 2 TDs to Dez
@andylet445 not really trolling since its positive about them... but the singer sounds exactly like the original dude
@jwoude23 bear down Check down?
@jwoude23 bear down Or garbage time starting 2nd Quarter
@jwoude23 bear down Matt Stafford is jelly
I cannot stop laughing
@Awesome Flaming Lion We will laugh at you whether that happens or not.
@Awesome Flaming Lion They are last years Chiefs
@Awesome Flaming Lion If they would get a QB.
Too all you laywers and other interested in this... Very interesting situation here legal wise. Also can someone answer me if we don't consider fetus's humans or "living" Why do they get legal representation?
@Building With Clay is back SON This case is so ass backwards in sooooo many ways
@Childerz... Because conservatives are insane.
@Natesweet Lions take first back this week. Skol Vikings
@Natesweet 200 yard day for Peterson